Houston

MG Car Club

It's all about the MG's - The British Sports Car America Loved First

What are you working on?

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • October 15, 2018 11:36 PM
    Reply # 6743607 on 6439918
    Bob Chalker (Administrator)

On the drive home from the GoF we ran into a bunch of bugs.  Ended up with bug juice all over my vinyl top.  Spent Sunday afternoon trying to get it off.  Tried everything and was about to give up when I mentioned to my lovely bride the problem.  She suggested coconut oil.  Low and behold I put a little of it on the stain, let it sit overnight and it came off for the most part.  Still have a little elbow grease to apply but it is much, much better.  I also heard that WD40 works in the same way.

• October 06, 2018 7:59 AM
    Reply # 6709984 on 6699293
    Anonymous wrote:
    Bob Chalker wrote:
    Anonymous wrote:Windshield is back in the car!!

Next up is replacing the wiper motor.  Haven't done that before so not sure how easy or hard it'll be.

CONGRATULATIONS Rob!  I understand that is one of the toughest jobs we can do on our cars.  I may need some pointers from you as I have a good size chip in mine.
    Thanks Bob.  I've probably done about a dozen MGB windshields.  I know I'm the odd man out, but I don't find it difficult - with one exception.  The frame to car body seal takes a lot of work and I wasn't able to do it without help the last time,. Ray Hotzapple graciously offered to help and I'm glad he did.  I've always used about a 25/75 mix of dish  soap and water.  He used straight soap and while it still took a bit of wrestling, we got it done!  I'm happy to help anyone in the club who needs theirs done.
    I realized you might have been referring to the wiper motor replacement being one of the toughest jobs.  If so, rest easy.  It turned out to be very easy.  My dash was already off from doing the windshield, so I had good visibility, but I think it'd have been pretty much the same ease if the dash were on.  Two bolts hold the motor to the firewall & one nut holds the cable housing from the motor to the tube that the cable runs through.  Undid those three and the cable pulled out of the tube easily.  The new motor from Moss came with a longer cable than needed so I cut it off to match my old one.  I used a sanding disc on an angle grinder to round off the end of the cable after cutting - that made it easier to feed it through the tube.  It went in easy (I greased the cable so it'd be lubricated).  Then just re-do the 2 bolts & the nut & plug the new motor in & test.  Done.

One thing to note, there are a few variations of the motor cog gear -- one is 105* sweep & one is 125* sweep.  There's also a kidney bean shaped "bump" on the cog gear that controls where the wipers auto-park.  The new motor comes shipped for roadsters so I didn't have to change mine, but I took the cog gear out to verify it before I installed the motor.  There's a circlip that holds it; once that's off it's easy to get out.  For a GT, the kidney bean shaped bump has to be popped off the spot it comes delivered in & moved to another set of holes provided on the cog gear.  I don't know which models used the 125* instead of 105*.  My 76 (3 wiper) car uses 105.

• September 30, 2018 8:15 AM
    Reply # 6699293 on 6698990
    Bob Chalker wrote:

Next up is replacing the wiper motor.  Haven't done that before so not sure how easy or hard it'll be.

CONGRATULATIONS Rob!  I understand that is one of the toughest jobs we can do on our cars.  I may need some pointers from you as I have a good size chip in mine.
    Thanks Bob.  I've probably done about a dozen MGB windshields.  I know I'm the odd man out, but I don't find it difficult - with one exception.  The frame to car body seal takes a lot of work and I wasn't able to do it without help the last time,. Ray Hotzapple graciously offered to help and I'm glad he did.  I've always used about a 25/75 mix of dish  soap and water.  He used straight soap and while it still took a bit of wrestling, we got it done!  I'm happy to help anyone in the club who needs theirs done.
  • September 29, 2018 11:41 PM
    Reply # 6698990 on 6698673

• September 29, 2018 5:07 PM
    Reply # 6698673 on 6670461
    Windshield is back in the car!!

• September 15, 2018 9:15 AM
    Reply # 6670461 on 6439918

New windshield is in the frame.  Had to remake the brackets that hold the frame side pillars to the bottom rail.  Won't get a chance to reinstall in the car till later this week or maybe even the following week, but making progress.

I will say the Triplex glass is about 30% thicker* than the cheap glass I had before and the curve of the triplex matched the frame shape better too.  Its definitely worth the extra money.

*Note: some folks seemed concerned the extra thickness would make fitting it in the frame difficult.  I did not have any problems.  The frame went back together pretty effortlessly following the same procedure I've used a few times before 

• September 02, 2018 5:47 AM
    Reply # 6650123 on 6649917
    Bob Chalker wrote:

Put a new battery in the “B.”  Let it go dead one too many times.  Found a 26R at Walmart made by Johnson Controls for $49.00.  Will be interesting to see how reliable it is.

Glad you said that Bob - reminds me I need to hook up the charger/maintainer on mine!
  • September 01, 2018 10:00 PM
    Reply # 6649917 on 6439918

Put a new battery in the “B.”  Let it go dead one too many times.  Found a 26R at Walmart made by Johnson Controls for $49.00.  Will be interesting to see how reliable it is.

• August 27, 2018 8:11 AM
    Reply # 6640460 on 6439918

It will be interesting to hear what you determine. In any event, it would be interesting to know where the air flow is coming from .

• August 26, 2018 9:25 AM
    Reply # 6639256 on 6439918

This week I replaced that alternator (that look’s like a generator) in my MGA.  The internal regulator had gone bad.  I had replaced the original generator with this alternator back in January.  Started having issues in March.  Contacted Basil Adams, who I bought it from, and he made good on a replacement.  Unfortunately his supplier was not shipping until August.  I wonder if the delay in product and my bad regulator are related.  Anyway, got the new alternator installed and the A is back on the road.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >>