Houston

MG Car Club

It's all about the MG's - The British Sports Car America Loved First

What are you working on?

• August 27, 2018 8:11 AM
    Reply # 6640460 on 6439918

It will be interesting to hear what you determine. In any event, it would be interesting to know where the air flow is coming from .

• August 26, 2018 9:25 AM
    Reply # 6639256 on 6439918
    Bob Chalker (Administrator)

This week I replaced that alternator (that look’s like a generator) in my MGA.  The internal regulator had gone bad.  I had replaced the original generator with this alternator back in January.  Started having issues in March.  Contacted Basil Adams, who I bought it from, and he made good on a replacement.  Unfortunately his supplier was not shipping until August.  I wonder if the delay in product and my bad regulator are related.  Anyway, got the new alternator installed and the A is back on the road.

• August 26, 2018 9:22 AM
    Reply # 6639255 on 6439918

Jim,  Now I am intrigued, don’t have further advice, but I am now wondering if blocking that airflow on the edges is actually making the heat worse, not better.  Contemplating removing the insulation.

• August 25, 2018 9:41 AM
    Reply # 6638368 on 6439918

To prevent any unnecessary work, I want to modify or correct some previous info on this topic. Took the car on a 30 mile drive this morning and felt the air flow at the six inches at the door where the dash meets the firewall. Plenty of air coming in there but it was not hot air but was cool air coming in. Probably not a good idea to block that except maybe in the winter. Therefore, by elimination, the  cockpit heat culprits must be the tranny, firewall, and floor. I don't understand how the guys on "themgexperience" had such great success by blocking the 6 inch points unless the situation was corrected in latest model MGA's. Insights appreciated.

• August 22, 2018 10:29 PM
    Reply # 6635047 on 6634144
    Jim Early wrote:

You may want to take a look at the mgexperience site if you have problems because of the additional thickness. There is an owner who has found the additional thickness to be quite a challenge to install. There have been many suggestions as to how to fit the new glass. His is an MGA as I recall.

Thanks Jim.  MGA design is different than MGB but the idea is the same.  I think I'll be ok because the thin glass was not hard at all.  But, I won't know for sure till Saturday when I reassemble it with the thicker glass.
  • August 22, 2018 9:50 PM
    Reply # 6635016 on 6439918

I put a new alternator (the type that looks like a generator) in my MGA.  Finally have her back on the road after 4 months of sitting.  It was fun to take her out for a drive last night.

• August 22, 2018 10:45 AM
    Reply # 6634144 on 6439918

You may want to take a look at the mgexperience site if you have problems because of the additional thickness. There is an owner who has found the additional thickness to be quite a challenge to install. There have been many suggestions as to how to fit the new glass. His is an MGA as I recall.

• August 20, 2018 4:39 PM
    Reply # 6584865 on 6439918

Started on the windshield replacement.  

• Dash/Frame removed from car
    • Frame disassembled & old glass out
    • Frame cleaned, ready to put new glass in
    Old glass was "off brand" SPX Solex.  New is Triplex.  

I took the opportunity to compare thicknesses.  The SPX Solex glass is 13/64" thick.  The Triplex is 17/64" thick.  That's 1/16" thicker & while it doesn't sound like much, that's a 30% difference & that's a lot.  It's even visually thicker.
  • August 10, 2018 9:00 AM
    Reply # 6460381 on 6439918

Rob, thanks for the offer, but i always seem to find more to do, as it appears you do as well.  Thankfully, for the most part both of my cars are running well (other than the alternator on the A) but it does seem as if it is always something.  

• August 10, 2018 8:52 AM
    Reply # 6460241 on 6439918

Bob - sounds like a pretty quick & easy swap... when you're done, you'll be bored.  To help you out with that, you're welcome to come help me work down my list ;).

Contact Us:  HoustonMGCarClub@gmail.com

Houston MG Car Club

PO Box 40711

Houston, TX   77240.