Houston

MG Car Club

It's all about the MG's - The British Sports Car America Loved First

Fuel tank overflow

• February 05, 2019 10:49 PM
    Reply # 7149339 on 7144049

Any progress on it?  Other than the sender unit, fuel line,  vent line, and of course the filler neck, there shouldn't be any place for fuel to get out.  Depending on the age of your tank, this may me a red herring, but it is not uncommon for an older tank to have rust holes (even if just pin holes) in the top where moisture gets trapped between the top of the tank and bottom of the trunk floor. 

Given the potential dangers, I'd put the car on stands, fill it up and inspect with a good flashlight to figure out where it's coming from.

Last modified: February 05, 2019 10:50 PM | Anonymous member
  • February 03, 2019 8:10 AM
    Message # 7144049

Last week I had a long drive ahead of me so when I filled up I got this dumb idea that I’ll put in as much as I can.  After I filled up, I looked under the car and I had fuel draining down the front side of the fuel tank from the top.  I’ve looked at all of the schematics and cannot find a plug that may have been omitted.  Can anyone think of what might have been the location of the overflow.  Not the fill line, that didn’t overflow.  It was from the front top passenger side area of the tank.  It’s not an issue if I fill up until the pump shuts off and then just round up to the nearest dollar.  I thought I’d be slick and fill up as far as possible.  I also recently replaced all of the fuel lines and restored the charcoal filter in the vent lines so I know they are clear.  Even checked with an air compressor for air flow and all was good.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.