Houston

MG Car Club

It's all about the MG's - The British Sports Car America Loved First

Exhaust System Fail

• January 31, 2020 9:10 PM
    Reply # 8705650 on 8704654
    Bob Chalker (Administrator)

Ron, the long one with a flange on both ends.  I talked to Moss today and they are getting me a replacement.  Said they have never seen a failure like this.  Interestingly, I was with a couple engineers  today who are corrosion experts, they said it looks like stress corrosion cracking which is a known failure mode in stainless steel often caused when exposed to chlorides.  I just don't know when it would have been exposed to the chlorides.  I am going to clean out the garage tomorrow making sure I don't have chlorine stored there for the pool.

• January 31, 2020 5:17 PM
    Reply # 8705372 on 8704654

Bob which of the 3 pipes are broken? I may have one.

• January 31, 2020 10:48 AM
    Message # 8704654
    Bob Chalker (Administrator)

This morning I was driving my 72 B  and as I pulled into the parking lot the exhaust pipe sheared off.  I did not hit anything and there is no other sign of damage.  The failure is about a 1/4 inch behind the flange on the mid-pipe.  It is almost a clean cut, looking like someone used a saw on it.  It is a Tourist Trophy Stainless Steel system and I installed it in May, 2016.  I am currently in discussions with Moss to see what I can do to fix it.  I am hoping they can provide me just the pipe so that I can make the repair without having to purchase a whole new system.  

Update:  So tonight after work I was able to use a coat hanger to hold the pipe in place.  I then rolled down both windows (had the hard top on so I couldn't put the top down) to make sure I didn't breath in too much carbon monoxide and then I limped her home.  I was most definitely the loudest car on the road.  Several people gave me stares, but I was able to get her home and into the garage.  I Spoke to Moss and they are shipping me a new pipe.  The tech said they have never seen a failure like this before.  See my reply on what a possible cause may be.  Should have her back on the road soon.  The joy's of owning a LBC.

1 file
    Last modified: January 31, 2020 9:17 PM | Bob Chalker (Administrator)

Contact Us:  HoustonMGCarClub@gmail.com

Houston MG Car Club

PO Box 40711

Houston, TX   77240.