By Mike Gentry
Your Houston MG Car Club has clarified and changed the annual awards for the Club and annual Car Show. The intent of these changes is to clarify eligibility requirements and provide a guideline on what awards are available and who is eligible to participate. All Club awards are presented at the annual Christmas Party.
First of all, let’s start with the HMGCC annual awards:
Driver’s Award: Awarded to the member with the most round trip miles (points) driven in an MG to a sponsored Club event. If no MG is owned by a member, miles (points) may be accumulated by driving another vintage (1980 and older) British marque vehicle. Timeline is November 1st through October 31st.
Alan Rayne Memorial Traveling Trophy (aka “Broken Crankshaft”): Humorously recognizes a Club member who incurs mechanical or other MG car breakdown issues to/from an official Club event.
Board of Directors’ Award: At the discretion of the Board, given to any Club member who provided exceptional leadership or service to the Board during the previous year.
President’s Award: At the discretion of the President, given to any Club member who provided exceptional leadership or service to the President including:
- Contributing articles to the website or ROARS
- Organizing one or more events
- Attending multiple events during the year.
Presidential Recognition Award: Recognizes a successful term as President of the HMGCC. Given out every two years.
As most members are aware, our Club hosts an “All British” Car Show in the fall of each year. This show is open to all British marque vehicles and is open to the public. A long-standing tradition for our Club, 2019 will mark the 30th annual event sponsored by our Club! The show this year will be held on Saturday, September 21st, 2019 and will be held in The Woodlands area for the first time in our Club history.
The “All British” Car Show awards are as follows:
- Individual Class Awards: First, second & third class awards (depending on the number of vehicles registered). Voting is conducted by all registered participants.
- Best in Show Award: Recognizes the vehicle that appeals most to registered participants. Voting is conducted by all registered participants.
- Ralph Diebert Award: Award for the most popular MG marque vehicle whose owner is a current member of the HMGCC. Voting is conducted by all registered participants.
- People’s Choice Award (new): Award for the British marque vehicle that appeals most to spectators and the general public, all of whom are eligible to vote.
Additional details for the Club and Car Show awards can be found in the “ABOUT” section of our website: www.houstonmgcc.com. Thanks and please reach out to any Board Member or Club Leadership if you have any questions.